Monday, May 16, 2011

Fight!

Last week I had the privilege of watching the memorial service to David Wilkerson beamed live as a webcast across the Internet live from Times Square Church in New York City. David Wilkerson was a hero of the faith. His book Cross and the switchblade, the true story of how David, a skinny preacher, was led by God into the darkest streets possible in the Darkest areas of 50 s New York, and ministered into the violent gang culture that resided there. The story particularly highlights the dramatic conversion of gang leader Nicky Cruz, who today is still going strong touching lives with the power of God.

David Wilkerson's life came to an end a few weeks ago in a horrendous car crash in Texas aged 79.

The memorial service was such a blessing. Amazing heart searching worship, surrounded fantastic tributes from family members and from his co pastors at Times Square Church and from some people who's lives had been touched through Davids's ministry. Interspersed into the service were moving clips of some of David's most profound words both from his preaching and from his writing, particularly his blog.

All the people who spoke gave really amazing tributes. But one theme came through from all of them.

The theme was, that David Wilkerson lived to love people and to help and save people. Everything he did was for God with his mission being precisely to love, help and save people.

And as I learned that the webcast alone was being watched by millions of people, something really dawned on me.

Something leaped in my Spirit.

One man!

One man had this much impact for God in the world.

This one man had brought literally millions to seek God and have their lives changed around.

My own transformation started in the pages of the cross and the switchblade.

My own desperation to see the world transformed started as I almost walked the streets of Brooklyn in those pages.

One man.

My thoughts turned to the church. If one man can have such an impact?

What can be achieved for the kingdom if the whole church lived to love, help and save people?

I was reminded that we are called to be world changers.

This week since the memorial service, I think my life has taken a step further into the depths of God.

I genuinely want to make an impact in the world. I want to devote my life to love, help and save others.

And I really believe God is calling his people now more than ever to make it our life's work to love, help and save the lost.

We are called to fight!

To fight for the lost, the hurting and the dying, the broken and the needy, the unloveable, the seemingly unreachable.

So I throw the challenge out there today, just as the challenge is there for me too!

Fight!

Fight for the very lives of those who need Jesus.

Do whatever you can to love, help and save people.

Is it time we picked up the fight?

Is it time we intensified the fight?

If one skinny preacher can bring the power of God to so many, then why not you?

Rise up today. Take our focus of things that really aren't that important and fight. Go to the darkest places, not just geographically but the spiritually dark places that people reside in their everyday lives.

Befriend.

Love lavishly.

Touch lives.

Fight!

Massive blessing on you this day guys!

Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...