Sunday, July 24, 2022

Forensic Prayer

 

I have a fascination with Forensics.

 

If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.

 

Hence my love of true crime documentaries and crime fiction series such as CS!!

 

Forensics is a set of scientific tools and tests to establish the truth and the facts behind a criminal offence. Once established, these facts become evidence that can be used to identify, prosecute and convict the perpetrator or perpetrators of a crime.

 

When Dawn and I pioneered the Boiler Room in Liverpool many years ago now, one of the first initiatives that we needed to activate as part of a series of other tasks that would enable us to establish the new house of prayer at that time, was to network like crazy. Build relationships with all kinds of individuals, agencies, and services in the city community of Liverpool. One of those relationships gave me a gift that has helped make my own prayer life super exciting. More about that at the conclusion of this post!

 

That relationship was with the police.

 

We built a relationship that meant they would take us out into some of the difficult crime spots in the city every Thursday night. On these trips I saw so much. I learned about the signs in our communities of drug activity. I learned about aspects of the sex trade that would make your hair stand on end. I learned about all kinds of crime and activity that were constant sources of wounding to communities.

 

I saw real evidence of the work of the enemy in our world. Things that literally stopped people from knowing God.

 

Those signs are right outside your street, outside our offices and workplaces, even in them sometimes.

 

One night the Police took us to a house in a well-known trouble spot. They showed us a house that they regularly had to check on. It was a two bedroomed terrace, where a family of around fifteen people lived. These people had cause mayhem in this area for years. People in the street they lived were literally scared witless. Change was required to this situation, but all attempts to deal with the situation were not working. I asked the police guys we were out with if I could get out of the police van and pray. They looked at each other as if I was mad! But they agreed to let me get out. I walked from the van to the house and laid my hand on the wall. I prayed a straightforward simple prayer, asking the Lord to deal with this situation in his just and merciful power. I prayed for the family I prayed that the fear would be lifted from the street. I prayed that the family would be dispersed from this place. I casually walked back to the van, and we carried on our way. The following week as we approached this street, the two police guys, one of which was in the van the previous week, gasped as we approached the troubled house. It was completely empty and tinned up! They couldn’t believe it and were so taken aback by the power of prayer! One of them turned to me and said, “Can you come out with us every day!”

 

That shortened version of this great demonstration of what can do through prayer in our communities started me out on a journey that still makes my prayer mission so edifying and relevant.

 

I mentioned a gift God equipped me with.

 

Forensic Prayer!

 

The journey has taken me to speaking to all kinds of enterprises both Christian and secular, law enforcement, universities, community groups, about the changing power of prayer.

 

My challenge to you is this. What signs can you see when you are out and about, of the work of the enemy? Even now as I have just walked to McDonalds for my breakfast this morning, I saw a couple of used syringes on the floor, a used condom and a set of about twenty lager cans lying on the pavement.

 

These led me to pray for those trapped in drug addiction, sad, weary sex and alcoholism.

 

The thing is this is forensic evidence that can be used to make our prayers way more effective!

 

The thing is.

 

We present this evidence to the Lord, and we then leave him to bring justice and peace to the world.

 

Hey

 

There is so much work to be done.

 

And

 

Jesus is already there.

 

Let’s commit to joining him in his life changing and life-giving work in our world!

 

Be blessed

 

Gaz

Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...