Monday, August 15, 2011

The Army of the now

This morning I'm writing this in a quiet spot overlooking the sea.

It's glorious morning.

The blazing sun is making the flat, still, sea glisten with what seems like millions of fine cut diamonds sending their crystal beams every which way.

The sky is clear.

Where the clear bright blue sky meets the vastness of the sparking sea, as far as the eye can see, is a gorgeous and astonishing visible straight line.

Beyond the straight line is a place where maybe endless possibilities lay? A place where imagination has to take over from what is seen. A place where perhaps dreams and hopes can be transformed into truth and reality.

The straight line is the horizon.

Last night I was speaking to a large and vibrant gathering at the Salvation Army's Northern divisional summer school.

I want to tell you guys, it was one amazing night.

High octane worship.

Lots of laughter.

Some tears.

It was one of those events that it was so easy to speak into.

Young people hungry to hear from God.

And God just took over my heart and my mouth!

I couldn't even begin to tell you what I said last night.

As I was speaking, I was directly looking into a sea of young faces.

Expectant.

Ready.

Primed.

The SalvationArmy of the future?

I guess so?

But I think they deserve more respect than that.

They are the salvation Army of the now.
As I look over the sea today, I stare in awe of the perfect God created straight line that is the horizon.

I begin to picture in my minds eye the face of the Army of the now last night staring back at this crazy preacher.

These faces formed a straight line along the horizon I am looking at now.

And I am wondering what lays beyond this horizon for these amazing human beings?

And I also wonder what lays beyond the horizon for the Salvation Army?

I saw an Army of hungry, visionary people. The Army of the now marching into territory unknown, knowing the truth that God will give us every scrap of land it sets foot in. Marching to a land of hope, of possibility of undiscovered treasures, hidden for generations.

An Army poised to push on beyond the straight line, and discover what is beyond the pseudo-horizons of bland Salvationism and Spirit-numbing religion.

I saw in these young faces a determination, the determination of the saints who have fight the good fight for decades. A determination that brings heavenly possibility to the forefront of our mission that will not be suppressed by human failure or the injustice of control.

I saw beyond the horizon a fantastically gifted Army of the now, sharing their bright and infectious personalities as well as their obvious talents with the broken.

In the faces of these young people I saw the wide eyed freshness of a rejuvenated Salvation Army. Ready, willing and able to march from the throne of God beyond the horizon into the dark unknown to rescue those who are lost.

I saw an Army re-connecting with it's reason for being.

Yeah.

Sitting looking at this horizon I feel compelled to pray and maybe there are those who read this who will join me?

I feel compelled to pray beyond the horizon.

To take my prayers into the unknown.

To claim unchartered land for the kingdom of God.

To pray that we will not be afraid to go beyond our normal scope of thinking, beyond what we see now?

To pray beyond the horizon with passionate belief and hope that all of us have an incredible and significant part to play in the transformation of this planet.

Victory is secure beyond the horizon so come on guys, march with confidence and boldness.

It's the time of the Army of the now.






Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...