Thursday, September 22, 2011

Exit

I'm writing from a fantastic veranda at my hotel in Benidorm, Spain.

It's a gorgeous balmy night that has crept up behind a gorgeous sunny day. The coloured neons of Benidorm's famous clubland Are casting vibrant greens, reds and blues across the hotels pool area, and as the night draws down and the light fades leaving dazzling red and pink streaks in the sky, I sit opposite my gorgeous wife, the absolute love of my life, sipping 100% arabica coffee with my iPad lit up on the table before me, and my mind wandering over to a kind of spiritual precipice.

In other words I feel I'm on the cusp of something big.

I haven't a clue what that is.

But I'm standing there and I am getting the drift that God is about to do something amazing in the lives of Dawn and me.

It's an amazing place to be.

When we flew into Alicante airport the other day after the smoothest flight I have ever been on in my life, we taxi'd across the Tarmac towards the terminal building and eventually came to a stop a few hundred yards from it. We waited for a while for the steps to be attached to the doorways of the plane. It seemed to take ages. Then the air hostess came over the planes sound system and said that they couldn't get the steps to click to the door so we would have to wait, but it shouldn't be too long.

I was desperate, as usual, after a flight for the loo.

So it was a bit of an inconvenience to be stuck on the plane at this stage if you know what I mean.

Eventually we got the go ahead from the hostess and a couple of hundred people started to file of the plane to the awaiting buses that would take us to the terminal.

Sitting on this veranda tonight, this incident came fast into my head as I was reflecting on the precipice I'm feeling just now.

There's something really frustrating about being stuck on a plane, especially when your desperate for something or other, and I would like to state it was the something not the other!

What if those steps hadn't been able to attach? We all would have been stuck on the plane I guess.

But the steps came. There is no way the airport staff would have left us on the plane!

That's exactly how I feel.

I feel like I've arrived somewhere and I'm standing waiting to step out into something new, something amazing. And I am determined this time to step out into it. But I guess the steps have to be attached first.

But the thing is.
God will connect the steps and open the door.

And that's where super-trust comes in.

The staff who run airports know exactly what they are doing and we get to our destinations eventually.

Dawn and I have had one heck of a battle over the last few months.

One of the biggest ever!

But sitting here listening to the sounds of Benidorm, and watching the dizzying effect of the neons and the bright lights, feeling a very gentle breeze soothing the skin in the warm summers night air?

I am feeling strongly that battles are really worth something.

And this one is preceding something real.

Somehow I feel the battle has been won, the victory as always, when it comes to God,is as sure as houses.

Somehow I feel like God is giving us the go ahead to step off the plane, step over the precipice, into something electrifyingly, glorifyingly, special.

And when God opens the door we have to walk through.

There's no way I'd ever want to stay on an aeroplane, I have to fly, but I hate them with a passion.

I gotta get off it man!

If there's anyone out there who is feeling like your stuck and there's something more for you? Come on, get off the plane, look for the exit, step out onto the Tarmac of the something more.

You know you want to!

You know you need to!

You know you have to!

Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...