Friday, May 18, 2012

Face to face

I'll fight to the very end.

Famous last words.

In this case the last words of an ultra potent prophetic statement wrapped into a profound sermon given by William Booth at the outset of the last century.

I'll fight to the very end.

He is talking about fighting for those in desperate need of a saviour.

It was a perennial call for people to join him in that fight.

So how are we doing on the fighting for the lost front?

I was deep in a highly frustrating conversation with a fellow leader a couple of weeks ago. He made this assessment of how we are doing with fighting. "We (The Salvation Army) fight smarter these days. With well planned campaigns national campaigns, technology and elaborate traditional programming. And we fight smarter because we have more academically efficient leadership in our Corps and centres."

Interesting statement.

I can tell you now that this statement doesn't really float my dinghy.

If that's how we are fighting? Then the last man standing please hand the keys in.

I mean academically efficient leadership? Is that a vital factor in the fight? Not that there is anything wrong with that of course. Nothing at all, and I'm all for bettering our knowledge etc. And as for elaborate traditional programming? What on earth is that?

Its just that I don't think it always sits alongside the fact that Jesus chose fishermen to be his right hand men guys who hadn't always done too well in the jewish academic arena. And I definitely don't agree with the view that it makes leadership more efficient. Sounds a bit exclusive to me really. And I don't think it is a absolutely critical factor in the fight for the lost either. But maybe that's just me.

Writing this today I am aware that following me getting this down on paper, I will be going to a meeting with a guy who has just been released from prison to help him try and get a roof over his head for tonight and the coming days. One of my team sat with him yesterday and talked to him directly about rebuilding his life from this point on and how God could help him to steer clear of another prison term, and how his life could change beyond understanding.

My team member was fighting, with all her might to save another lost person from possible destruction.

As I watched this amazing conversation conducted with love beyond measure, I thought about the statement that we "fight smarter these days."

I am up for innovation in the fighting for lost souls battle, but not at the expense of the one thing that I believe the Spirit of God is asking me to communicate today.

And that is?

Face to face fighting.

How are we doing on the fighting front?

I can't answer that really because that would involve me judging people , and I'm not up for that, so no sweeping statements here.

But?

If we aren't getting face to face with the lost then we won't reach them.

Will we?

We won't reach them from our offices, or our citadels, or our church buildings or even the comfort of our own homes.

Can we?

It doesn't take academia to work that one out.

Does it?

God is calling us to be face to face with the world.

Here's Booths last few sentences of his amazing prophecy.

"While women weep as they do now I'll fight, while men go to prison in and out in and out, I'll fight. While there is a drunkard, while there is a little lost girl upon the street, while there is one dark soul without the light of Christ, I'll fight, I'll fight to the very end."

This statement speaks of a fight for Justice, salvation and liberation. It speaks of seeking and saving the lost. It speaks of an Army fighting for the very lives of the needy with love, acceptance and compassion coursing through its veins.

So how are we doing on the fighting front?

The Spirit of God says, "I call the whosoever. Whoever you are you are, regardless of social standing or educational prowess you are essential to the fight. I call those who would come to be face to face with as many people as you can. Whatever plans you have, however efficient you are, if you are not face to face with those who need a saviour, then the fight is diminished. I call those who would be pioneers in the fight, those who would from the spiritual place go out in to the world and stop at nothing to transform it covered by my power. I call those to the fight who have lost the fighting Spirit. I breathe that fight in to your spirit this day. I call those who are dreaming and visioning, I call you out of the shadows, I call the prophetic to rise from the same shadows and into the fight because the fight will be lost without you. I call those who are passionately involved in focussing on the things that don't matter, I need you to focus on the fight to the very end. I call those who see justice as a product of the victory, I call you to step up. I charge you to embrace bravery and courage to be face to face with the darkest of souls and the most floundering of spirits. I call you to take up the fight and take it up to the very end of your days. I don't want smarter, I want real."

In the name of Jesus we say amen.






Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...