Saturday, May 26, 2012

What now? (live from the I'll fight congress London)

I'm writing this from a box in the Royal Albert Hall.

The "I'll fight' congress has just begun.

As the ceremony and saluting begins my mind begins to wander.

It wanders to the outside of the Albert hall to the streets that stretch the plains of the globe.

Often desolate, dark, seedy places.

I see people slain down by the force of alcoholism. I see children and young people hurting by the experience of broken familyhood. I see older people dying, lonely and lifeless. I see drug addicts shooting up their lurid substances. I see so called rich people carrying their crazy debts around with them. I see the exploitations of conglomerates shattering lives through cool media presentations. I see the grey dull neon signs of the sex rooms that adorn our cities. The pictures go on and on. I see the destructive work of the evil one lurking at every turn.

It's a cold dark fearsome place.

It's the ground to which we exist to be sent.

I look around this amazing building. It looks particularly brilliant tonight. Fantastic lighting, a colourful stage with one big baby of a flag hanging on the back of the stage. The biggest flag I've ever seen in fact!

Just now they've played a recording of William Booth saying to Salvationists. I'm glad you're enjoying yourselves but don't forget those who are living in darkness on the streets." or words to that effect.

I look out at 5000 faces with eyes glued to the stage.

Enjoying ourselves.

5000 living-breathing parts of the Salvation Army in the UK.

I think Booths little message there, spoken in another era, to a previous generation of Salvationists, is ultra challenging. When 5000 people walk out of here tonight it brings a two-word question for us all to ponder.

What now?

These bright lights and big flags are somehow comforting to some annoying to others, familiar to many.

So if we are comforted, annoyed or feeling the familiarity of the Army tonight, the question still stands.

What now?

I am listening right now to massed youth chorus people singing.

Boy it sounds beautiful.

It's so full of hope and life.

Their faces are radiant and beautiful beyond belief. I see the life that they could bring to the broken, to the hurting, to the lost. We are so talented and gifted. We have so much in our armoury to march into the darkest of places and rescue the darkest of souls.

We can't stay in the bright lights though.

We can't live for moments like these.

We can't put all our salt in producing excellence in music, media and spoken word.

So what now?

The Generals going to be speaking shortly so I'm signing off in a second.

But before go I feel bold enough to speak this.

What now?

Get out of the comfort of the lights. Come out of that place. Find those who need us.

Desperately.

Don't settle for the bright lights, the concert hall, the cool worship service, as great as they are and so they should be, just don't settle for them that's all. Don't put all your efforts into that stuff. Take those talents and that sort of passion and direct it not to each other but firstly to God then to the lost.

Be an Army.

An Army with a massive flag.

But let that flag be the Spirit of God flying high in the deepest darkest battle grounds this world has. Your street, your family, your community, your city, your workplace, anywhere you find yourselves.

Offer a saving hand to those who are drowning in despair, listlessness and hopelessness.

Come on guys.






















Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...