Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Straight Street

Waiting.

Waiting for something can be a really tiresome occurrence.

The tiresomeness depends on two things.

Whether you are patient or impatient.

We are waiting for news of our new appointment which comes on Thursday this week.

It could be anywhere!

Both geographically and ministry wise.

I'm not naturally very patient when it comes to waiting for big news.

But this time?

I've had to learn to be patient.

Practice it even.

Practice it by physically stopping myself from being impatient.

How have I done that?

I've had to work at it.

Work hard.

This past five years has been tremendously life changing for me. We were sent to an appointment with virtually nothing. We were sent to live in a village, something I am not used to because I am a city boy, and I crave city life. Our house was a bit of a mess when we moved here as it hadn't been lived in for some time. The hall was dreary and had plants growing out of the guttering. On the surface it looked like we had pulled a short straw in the appointments round.

But.

Without going into all the detail, that's a story for another time, it has been the most amazing appointment. Amazing people, amazing victories, amazing experiences.

And it has changed me.

I've learned that God is even in the so called spiritually dry places. I've learned that even though I never got used to living in a village and never will, I can endure anything.

I'm amazed at the fact I've got through it.

I'm thrilled at the fact that I have enjoyed my time in the North East, a great place with beautiful people.

We had two choices Dawn and I.

We could wallow in self pity at being placed in a prime example of two wrecks of Salvation Army Corps, one with a few people left, the other at Durham had been closed down altogether, or we could focus on God and look at the situation we were faced with with His eyes, get our eyes to the skies (that's for you Sylvia!) and work as hard as we could with God.

We chose the latter.

God has created something amazing here out of the ashes of devastation that seemed an impossible task to restore.

It's simple though.

God is restoring long devastated places.

We have to learn to look with His eyes not ours.

That's when visions envelope us.

That's when dreams start to turn into realities.

When we learn to operate with the eyes of Jesus mission has to happen.

But for me?

This last five years has been a remoulding, a reshaping, and even a restoring of me as a person and as a leader.

Patience is a fruit of the Spirit.

I've worked hard at it.

It has added a new dimension to my leadership.

I'm stronger, because I have endured.

I know Dawn is the same.

So those things that you see as hopeless or seemingly impossible, you can endure it when you see it from Gods perspective.

Switch your vision.

See it with Gods eyes.

He sees the bigger picture.

We don't.

Psalm 107 is a word I believe for Dawn and I right now. But I felt the need to share it today, for those who maybe struggling with the now and can't see where their futures lie.

Here it is.

Give thanks to The Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever. Let the redeemed of The Lord tell their story, those he gathered from the Lands, from east and west, from north and south. Some wandered in desert wastelands, finding no way to a city where they could settle. They were hungry and thirsty, and their lives ebbed away. Then they cried out to The Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress.
He led them by a straight way to a city where they could settle. Let them give thanks to The Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind. For he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things. (Psalm 107: 1-9)

It is in fact worth spending some time reading and reflecting on this whole psalm.

Whatever we are going through, whatever we are required to do, even if we feel we are wandering through a desert wasteland experience, God can transform the situation.

If we keep our eyes locked on to Gods eyes, locked onto Gods vision for the saving of this world,
Then he will keep us on straight street. And will lead us to a place we can settle.

So roll on Thursday.

We're excited and feeling amazed at what The Lord has in store for us next.

But we do thank God for the life changing experience that has sharpened us and shaped us for the future.

Maybe your reading this and you feel like you are wandering through a desert wasteland right now?

Gods hearing your cries.

He really is.




Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...