Saturday, May 18, 2013

Stepping into the unknown

The rain dropped heavily from the green-grey sky over Durham City this morning. It was bouncing off the slick pavements with considerable force. 

No wonder the city is almost deserted this morning.

Looking over the unusually quiet streets has had me reminiscing about the last five years here in Durham.  

Our time here in this city is almost done. Just six or so more weeks. Then we head to London to a new appointment that we are quite nervous about, although the nervousness is laced with anticipation. 

We have had a delightful battle here in the North East. 

It's been a life shaping time for both Dawn and I.

I've learned what it really means to sit with people who are marginalised, broken, seeking, and in some cases purely and squarely outcast. 

I'm about to find out what it will feel like to have to leave those closely formed relationships behind. 

We don't know what the new appointment holds for us yet. We will meet with the new bosses in London next week to find out more. 

The last two appointments we have had, we knew exactly what the task was and we had to convince decision makers that the vision we have was right for the time and for them too. 

So far the vision to create specific centres of prayer and justice in Cities has unfolded in ways we couldn't have foreseen. 

Because really it's God's vision.

But we for the first time in our ministry are stepping into the unknown as far as the vision God has laid on our hearts is concerned. Does God want us to take it further? Is it time for a fresh vision to be spoke into us? 

I'm not sure.

Yet. 

One thing I do know is that I'm ready and listening. 

And the big questions I have this certainty tagged on to them, that I know they will be answered in due course. 

I think of the vision God gave us. 

I've stood up for it, spoke about it, breathed it and lived it. Been battered over it, almost lost the will to live with it and sometimes had my doubts about it. 

Without thinking. 

Because if I'd thought about it too much I'd have probably let go of it. Way too easily. 

I've had to defend it in people's offices, even when you look at some people squarely in the eye and you just know they don't get it. But somehow God has got me over brick walls. 

Which leads me to share a story with you. 

I was speaking at a conference in Wales about ten years ago. I delivered the talk, then when the session was coming to a close, the host announced that at the end of the session a prayer team would be positioned up at the front for people who wanted to be prayed with could head for. There was probably sixty or so people in the prayer team, and the host went on to say and I guess Gary could join them and I'm sure if anyone wants prayer from him then he will be available. I was a bit peeved to be honest because I was tired and just wanted to head home. But I went and stood with this team as people stared to stream forward. I saw an old man being helped on to raised platform where I was standing. He looked at least a hundred years old. His skin was deeply tanned but weathered lie leather. He walked slowly and gingerly towards me. He squared up to me eyeball to eyeball. But his eyes were piercing blue, kindly but full of life and confidence. He only spoke briefly. He had been saved at a revival meeting years ago when revival was sweeping Wales. He was seriously anointed. He said these words. "I have a word for you from God." Now I have loads of people giving me words in the everyday of my ministry, and i've learned to really be careful with what people say to me. I remember a woman saying to me once, "Does the word plant-pot mean anything to you?" It took me all my strength not say, "yeah I'm looking at one!" So I've learned to really test and discern words given to me. But this guy, he was one that I knew before he spoke that I had to listen to him and had to receive from God through him. He said this simple word. "God wants you to know you are going to come against some substantial brick walls in your ministry. Mostly the brick walls of religion, but the Spirit of God says that he will get you over every one of them if you keep you gaze on him." I felt very unsteady on my feet as the Spirit of God flowed from him. In fact I had to get Dawn to drive me home (which is sometimes a dangerous thing!) because I was so touched by the power of God. 

And ten years on.

Yeah.

A true word borne out. 

As Dawn and I look to the future, we know brick walls await. 

But we also trust in the word of God that he can do the impossible. 

And so we prepare to step into the abyss of the unknown. 

But I want to share with you a scripture, this scripture has been right in my face for the whole of my ministry especially when I have faced up to the brick walls that this guy was referring to. Walls that sometimes seemed like there was no chance for us to get over them. This scripture always surface like an electric current from my heart to my head. 

This is it. 

This is what The Lord says to His anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I take hold of to subdue nations before him and to strip kings of their armour, to open doors before him so that gates will not shut. I will go before you and will level the mountains. I will break down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron. I will give you hidden treasures, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am The Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name. (Isaiah 45: 1-3)

And that is exactly why and how God gets you through, over, around or whatever the massive brick walls that suddenly loom up on us during the course of our journey through life. 

So today, just hold that truth close to your heart. 

God is going before you. 

He is obliterating whatever stands in the way of his salvation. 

So keep going. 

Keep your gaze on him. 

You will navigate through anything even the biggest of brick walls. 




Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...