Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Modus Operandi

Latin.

I love Latin.

I kind of study it in an amateurish kind of way. 

It helps me when I pursue my growing passion, which is, wait for it! visiting, and studying historical architecture. 

If I see an old gravestone or statue in a Cathedral or something with a bit of Latin inscribed in the stone, then I can more or less understand what it means. 

I lead such an exciting life! (I know what your thinking!)

I even have a favorite Latin term. 

Modus Operandi. 

It probably doesn't take a Latin genius to work out what it means. 

It means mode of operation. 

How one operates.

A very new Christian asked me a question this week. "How should I operate as a Christian?"

A big question. 

It could be put another way, like, "What does God require of me?"

I was trying to concoct a massive answer in my head to that massive Question. 

But.

Instead, and fortunately, my mind switched to a scripture.

Micah 6: 8

Which pretty much gives us a straight answer to that question.

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

Justice 

Mercy

Humility

I was chatting with a volunteer from S21, the Prayer Centre Dawn and I have just left. She was telling me about Lee, a young man Who is constantly in trouble with the Police. A young man who is difficult to handle. We love him. Totally. Last Saturday he was having some trouble out on the streets. This volunteer said the best way to stay out of trouble is to stay all day with us. So he stayed the whole day at S21. A kind of safe house for the day.

Resourceful Christianity.  

And I thought to myself that's a Micah kind of Modus Operandi. 

A Modus Operandi that directly involves

Justice

Mercy

Humility.

And I thought of the big question the new Christian asked me. 

How would I operate as a Christian?

It made me search deep inside. 

What is my Modus Operandi?

There are times when I fall a bit short of the simplicity of Micah 6: 8,

But.

Nevertheless?

It's the daddy of all Spirit moved mandates. 

It's the bar that's been set by a loving God. 

It's what he requires of each of us. To act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. 

So.

I've been challenged to give my Modus Operandi a shake up this week.

Maybe this scripture will challenge you to assess your Modus Operandi, your mode of operation, and check it against this simple straight requirement straight from the heart of God. 

Blessings. 


Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...