Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Refuge

Flying back from Riga was not the most pleasant experience. The weather was unsettled and consequently the flight hit frequent bouts of turbulence. 

I am not very happy in a plane when it's turbulent.

I kept looking at my watch. Longing for the plane to land.

It seemed to take forever.

We were flying to London Gatwick. Everyone knows that you will be in a queue and circling for a while when you get near London,  I have yet to land on time at Gatwick.

And it was the same on this flight.

As we were circling in the London Skies I found myself willing the plane to land as it was battered by the strong winds making it shake and drop at will.

We eventually descended from the murky clouds and ironically landed very smoothly.

I relished the feeling of relief as we taxied towards South terminal.

All of this gave me some thinking to do.

It's so much better to be on solid ground than up in the air.

I love the solid ground that is Jesus Christ.

The rock.

The safe house.

The place of refuge.

I think about all the times my life has been up in the air. 

Hit by turbulence.

Battered by disturbing storms.

Yet.

I at least knew where my solid ground lay.

And I longed to get there.

Sometimes I thought I'd never get to the safety of solid ground.

But I know where to head for.

Psalm 48 talks of a city of safety.

A city built on solid ground.

The City of God.

Jerusalem.

Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise.  The city of our God, the Holy mountain. Beautiful in its loftiness. The joy of the whole earth. Like the heights of Zaphon is Mount Zion.,  the city of the great King. God in her Citadels, he had shown himself to be her fortress. 

This is a city that is so great and so full of God,  that even a mighty army consisting of amalgamated forces led by kings could not even stand to go near.

Nothing could attack it.

But those who inhabit this City, they know that God makes this solid ground secure forever.

The City of God.

Solid Ground.

The security we all long for. 

Is God.

His unfailing love.

His unfailing presence.

His unfailing protection.

Walk about Zion, go around her ramparts, view her citadels,  that you may tell them to the next generation. (Psalm 48: 12-13)

This sounds like an invitation to head for this City.

The City of God.

The spiritual Jerusalem.

Experience for yourself the total security that God provides.

When life gets turbulent,  where do you head for?

Do you stay up in the air or do you head for solid ground?

Are you, even as you read this, 'up in the air' so to speak?

Getting battered?

Are you looking for solid ground?

Then head for the City of our God.

The City of safety.

The ultimate security.

Found in the spiritual presence of God.

You'll be totally safe there.














Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...