Monday, November 11, 2013

A Dying Army?

I looked in our hall at Ealing today.

There is so much clearing out to do.

Years of clutter is piled up in almost all the rooms. I look at the walls of the church building slick with damp, a shady brown colour adorns the pipework. The carpet has seen better days, the wood that surrounds the main hall makes it look like a sixties Norwegian Sauna. Racks of videos line bookshelves in the office, Videos!  A throwback to the eighties. The red velvet cover on the piano looks so horrible I cant even describe it. 

I looked at the empty hall. 

I saw.

Decay.

I think deeply about the task we have been set to try and help to reverse the trend of Salvation Army Corps deaths in the West of London. 

We have three flags standing at the front of the hall.

One represents Ealing. 

The other other two represent two Corps that have already died. 

They speak of memories for some, yet they also speak of what the bible would describe as a city long devastated.

And as I look in the empty hall.

I wonder why.

Why is the SA fading away into a wistful memory in this part of the world. 

I can guess. 

Yeah I can guess alright, yeah others can have a go at guessing, and I've heard some people offer a reason why the SA is dying in West London.

Sadly it ain't just West London.  

Yet.

It's no good staring at the past. 

I begin to long for change for this situation. 

My heart feels like it bleeds for a dying Army.

I almost see its funeral in my minds eye. 

And?

Really?

Thats one funeral I dont fancy attending. 

So.

I feel stirred as I face the decay. 

A deep pang of excitement rises from the hope in my Soul.

Because.  

Thankfully I've seen the restoration of Corps that have died. Ive seen it first hand. I am a witness to the power of God saving people, saving Corps. Ive actually been part of seeing a Dead Corps rise from the ashes of destruction and become alive and effective once again. 

And.

I know this.

If we keep believing and building upon the one true foundation. 

Jesus. 

Jesus of Nazareth.

And if we can say with certainty my hope is built on nothing less.

Or dare I say built on nothing else!

And we place all our trust in him.

Every ounce of trust squeezed out of us. 

And truly believe what the bible says is true. 

Then.

We will see transformation like never before. 

Restoration.

A turn around.

An epic renaissance of effectiveness in kingdom business. 

I wanna see that. 

I have seen it.

I am seeing it. 

Decay doesn't bother me. The death of the Salvation Army doesn't bother me. 

Because.

I don't believe it will die. 

Because. 

God always wins. 

So listen up to a word from Isaiah. 

They will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated; they will renew the ruined cities that have been devastated for generations. (Isaiah 61:4 NIV)

Is that you?

Are you up for it?

Do you believe it?














 

Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...