Thursday, November 28, 2013

Responding to the call?


The policeman takes a sip of his coffee.

 

Just as the cup touches his lips, his radio emits a high pitched ringtone.


 He raises the radio/phone to his ear.

 

I can't hear what he is saying, but he immediately stands up, leaves his coffee on the table and leaves quickly.

 

He is responding to a call.

 

Something needs dealing with.

 

And his action is needed.

 

I watch this.

 

And.

 

As it happens I am reading Jeremiah 1.

 

In fact I am studying it for a couple of talks I have to do after Christmas.

 

I have also read a resume of the life of Jeremiah, this morning in the same coffee shop the policeman sat in just a few minutes ago.

 

It's funny really.

 

Jeremiah gets a call too.

 

A call to be a prophet to the Nations.

 

A call direct from God himself.

 

He doesn’t really respond like the policeman did.

 

His human side kicks in.

 

"I do not know how to speak, and I am too young."

 

That’s Jeremiah's initial response.

 

Sounds like a couple of really lame excuses to me. 

 

Someone once said to me, "The first thing that drops into your head is usually God, the second thing is usually you."


You see this in action here in Jeremiahs response to a calling from God.

 

I was reflecting on my own calling into ministry.

 

God literally and supernaturally had to pin me to the seat to get me to listen to him!


When I heard the words in my thoughts, "Gary I want you to be a Salvation Army Officer," My immediate response was, "Please God no." Quickly followed by a deluge of other thoughts came into my head, Amongst them were things like, "I will have to give up my career, my car, my season ticket at Anfield!" "Please God no."

 

The lameness of my initial response, resonated with Jeremiah thousands of years after he had encountered a calling.

 

But.

 

The thing is.

 

God spoke a zinger of a promise to Jeremiah.

 

"You must go to everyone I send you too and say whatever I command you to say. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you, declares the Lord."


It's funny.

 

I felt that sane language hit my heart and I knew I had to respond.

 

Immediately.

 

Like Jeremiah, I didn’t have a clue why he would choose me, the clueless, fly by night person that I was back then, who had spent most of my life as a Church going unbeliever who lived with an indifferent attitude to anything remotely spiritual.

 

But.

 

The call was real.

 

So I responded.

 

Jeremiah as a prophet, kept close to God from that point on. Listening to God, seeing the pictures God gave him. Keeping a conversation going relentlessly.

 

A total friendship.

 

A total relationship.

 

His remit was to speak to Nations, Kingdoms, to uproot, tear down, destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant.

 

Destroy what?

 

Well I think pretty much anything that got in the way of people knowing God.
 

And to build and plant what?

 

Anything that advances the Kingdom of God in this world.

 

That is a prophets remit in a nutshell I think.

 

It doesn’t make us popular really.

 

In fact Jeremiah was thrown down a cistern, a hole in the ground for it.

 

I know a few people who would like to do that with me! (Thankfully not the wife! I hope anyway!)

 

But.

 

Nevertheless.

 

Answering the call for Jeremiah meant that God used him to pave the way for massive reform in his time.

 

I don’t believe it is any different for us today.

 

God desperately needs people to hear his call.

 

More than that he needs them to answer his call.

 

I still miss my season ticket.

 

But the things God has shown me, the lives changed and healed, the great changes in my own character and life, the blessings, the miracles, the trials, the joys, the challenges.

 

More than makes up for that.

 

Never a dull moment!

 

Why do I write this today.

 

As I watched the policeman respond to his call on the radio. A call to action. I had a picture of people sitting at work or at home today, thousands of them, struggling with responding to His call.

 

Maybe.

 

Someone reading this blog post today.

 

Is doing the same?

 

The Spirit of God says to you. "Let go, of the struggle. Drop the lame excuses. I truly need you. Despite what you think about yourself, or despite what you think others feel about you, I am calling you. Calling you to Speak to nations and kingdoms, calling you to uproot ad tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant."

 

If you hear this call then take a leaf out of the policeman I saw this morning's book.

 

Respond immediately.

 

Respond despite your fears and your excuses.

 

I finish with a few more words from Jeremiah 4.


It's God speaking.

 

"Get yourself ready! Stand up and say to them whatever I command you to say. Do not be terrified by them or I will terrify you before them. Today I have made you a fortified city, an iron pillar, and a bronze wall to stand against the whole land. Against the kings of Judah, its officials, its priests and the people of the land. They will fight against you but will not overcome you. For I am with you and will rescue you says the Lord."

 

So if this is for you today.

 

If God is calling you to be a prophet? 

 

If he is calling you to ministry? 

 

If he is calling you to take action of some kind? 

 

Then.

 

What are you waiting for?

 

Blessings today guys

Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...