Sunday, September 21, 2014

Sanctuary update 5

it was a busy day.

The Sanctuary opened early on Saturday and the people came in gradually during the morning.

Hospitality and Prayer working in complete harmony.

In came a new guy, sam, just released from prison after serving fourteen years.

He was a little drunk but not much, he needed just to talk.

He shared how he had messed up his whole life big time.

He said the only thing he wanted in this world was a new start, a new chance, a new existence. Dawn and I shared with him about the new starts that we had when we encountered Jesus. I could see in his eyes he wanted that. He's coming back on tuesday to talk further.

A new start.

It was almost prophetic confirmation of what was taking place this day.

It was the day of our official opening as a house of prayer.

The main event being a service of dedication and release at 7pm that very night.

The first thing was at 4pm members of our community gathered to prepare the hall for the night ahead. We had to move the cafe area to our lesser hall and create a theatre style seating arrangement in the main hall. Hard work that involved moving couches, chairs and tables, then shifting 100 chairs next door. As we worked I couldn't help thinking just how marvellous God actually is. We had hardly any people last year. It's just miraculous really.

People started to arrive around 5pm for a 7pm start.

Friends, people from our new community, colleagues from the Salvation Army, people from other Churches in Ealing and loads more came in their droves.

The event started at 7pm.

Worship was led by Sara Williams, the atmosphere being almost electric, as the presence of God surrounded us.

Our Divisional leader (Salvation Army) Paul Main then preached an amazing word on Ezekiel 37, reminding us that God always wins and that the truth of the matter is that dry bones can live as we connect with God.

I had to follow that with a glimpse of the vision for Sanctuary, in which I used a series of moving testimonies on screen from members of our new growing family at Sanctuary including homeless people, new volunteers, even a person who is one of the very few who stayed from the old Corps that was in Ealing. As I watched I could sense a series of disconnected bones beginning to come together as our new community is built by the breath of God. I used the scripture Psalm 127 Unless the Lord builds the house the builders labour in vain.

Then Divisional leader Jenine Main Led a time of declaration and dedication using Solomon's dedication of the temple as a backdrop to releasing us into a new phase of the life of Ealing Corps. This was the crux of why we have these dedicating events, to have our leaders bless this vision is of massive importance in the Heavenlies.

We finished on a nice note of praise as Sara led us to the throne of God with that amazing song everyone needs compassion (Mighty to save).

Then the tea started to flow and the cakes started to be eaten!

A new era begins.

As I sat down when the building was almost empty, tired but blessed, Anya came and sat by me. She had wandered in right at the end (She is the lady I spoke about in a previous post that lives in an elevator) She wanted some food. She said to me, "I can't even remember how my life got this bad, I want things to be different, I need a new start.

This morning as I write this update, I can't help thinking how my day started and ended with two broken people, Sam and Anya reminding me of the responsibility we carry as Christians, to bring healing, restoration and transformation to those who need Jesus desperately.

Sanctuary has commenced its new start as people have listened to God and followed his will and taken big risks for the sake of the Kingdom.

But my desire is that the Sam's and Anya's of this world encounter the same reviving Spirit that has created a new way forward for the Salvation Army in Ealing London, and get their new starts.

The road ahead is hard and full of danger.

But.

The hope is bigger.

A lot bigger.

Because God is awesomely and infinitely massive.

Thanks for all your prayers and encouragement.



Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...