Wednesday, February 24, 2016

The now


Mornings have always been my favourite time of the day.

This morning is one of those golden mornings.

Temperature below zero.

Completely clear London sky.

A gorgeous red gold sun beaming its spectacular glow on the waking world.

I’ve come into work early today. 6.30 to be precise. It is quiet in the office. The world is stirring outside. Traffic is building, people are stepping out into the day, all with their earphones in and backpacks on, all treading their well-worn paths to school, college, work, wherever.

I have a couple of hours until my work day officially begins at 8.30.

So

I am reflecting on where I am now.

For those who don’t know in the after-shock of my ministry being put on hold I took a job with a funeral company.

It’s been fantastic.

As mad as that sounds.

Obviously as a minister I have conducted many funeral services all over the country. The other thing is in my previous career as a nurse obviously I have dealt with death before. So here I am in the midst of people’s grief and despair every day.

Yesterday I sat with a lady in this very office who just wanted to talk about her mother who had died recently and our company had taken care of the funeral. She was struggling badly with bereavement and kept saying “I wish I could just talk to my mum right now”. I made her a cup of tea and just sat and listened. I was able to encourage her to speak out her grief to open up her emotions and let the tears flow. She shared with me that she had not been able to bring her emotion and grief to the surface in front of her family because she felt she needed to stay strong. I was able to help her to break down that stronghold yesterday.

And

I understood why I am in this job right now.

I am carrying a wealth of pastoral experience into the heart of people’s despair.

And

Although I miss some aspects of looking after the spiritual needs of a church. Even though for now I’ve put speaking on platforms and stages aside for a short period, I understand that this job is the best possible place for me to be right now.

Being in the midst of the darkness of bereavement is truly reigniting my passion to help people, to minister, to be there as a light in this dark world.

People have said to me isn’t it a bit depressing working in funerals.

Listen

It’s far from depressing.

It’s actually an honour.

It’s an opportunity to touch the lives of people who in desperate need.

I know that soon my speaking and writing will return, I am healed now of all the wounds that were inflicted spiritually and emotionally over the last few years. I feel strong, and I feel I am in totally the place where I need to be right now.

So.

I thought I would let you know exactly what I am up to right now.

And.

I want to say thank you to my readers all over the world for your tremendous encouragement to me and I leave this simple message today.

Whatever your circumstance is right now. However deep the trouble seems. However, locked in to a spiritual, mental or physical prisons you are, it can be turned round.

It doesn’t have to be forever.

Blessings on you today guys.

Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...