Monday, March 6, 2017

Head Space

It took a long time coming.

But.

I have had to admit that my life is digitally infected.

I had an epiphany moment the other day.

I realised that notifications are the framework for my daily living.

And.

As Jurgen Klopp would say, "it's not cool."

So.

I have embarked on a very difficult treatment.

A digital detox.

I declare I am giving up my smartphone.

On order is a new phone.

A Punkt MP01.

The thing about this phone is that the Swiss company Punkt, product range is designed to carry out a digital detox.

The phone although brilliantly designed by top industrial designer Jasper Morrison, only allows you to call and text. No email, No internet, NO camera No Facebook or twitter, The tweets the likes, the loves, the posts can wait until I reach my computer.

The idea?

A less distracted life.

By no means can I give up on emails, Facebook etc all work tools to me, but they will not be dropping onto my smartphone every five minutes distracting me from real things and real life.

While I've been waiting for my new phone, I have got an old nokia out of the draw and started.

Sitting in Nero's this morning I kept reaching for my phone. It took me a while to get over what I might be missing on my emails and social network platforms.

But after a while?

It was kind of nice.

I had a face to face conversation (Remember those) with my wife. I looked out of the window and admired the architecture of Turnham Green Church opposite.

I found I had some head space!

Further more when I had a little prayer time I found an interesting thing. I found I couldn't keep looking with one eye on my notification bar. I couldn't hold the phone in my hand to wait for the next vibration.

Someone called me mid head space but it was nice to have a conversation instead of whacking out a few sentences on a touchscreen keyboard.

I was able to engage in conversation with God in a way I haven't felt for a long time.

Head space is important in prayer.

Head space is important in life.

I'm really into my digital detox now and its as if life has been illuminated. Im reading books again, Im noticing things in my area I have just missed because my head has been too often in the screen stoop position.

I'm claiming my life back from the digital grip.

I am entering the real world of live face to face conversations.

Its also making feel more alive to the need around me.

Maybe you should try it










Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...