Sunday, January 8, 2012

Praying without Technology!

I really love technology.

 How often do we say, I don't know what we did before mobile phones?

Mobile phones, tablets, computers, Mp3s, Skype, wow, there are numerous ways of staying connected. One multimedia company makes this statement in an advertisement, "Enjoy hours of communication with our products." It is a fact these days that we are constantly available.

Constantly connected.

We are rarely unavailable.

When Jesus prayed, he often made himself scarce, in a practical sense, seeking solitude so he could speak and listen to his Father uninterrupted.

The other day I oversaw a prayer meeting in a church not far from where I live.

During the prayer meeting of which there was about 6 people, one person suddenly stood up and said sorry a text I have been waiting for has come in I'll have to go.

Then there were five.

Five minutes later the front doorbell of the building sounded. A lady went to answer it and didn't come back.

Then there were four.

The next ten minutes went by without interruption when all of a sudden someone else's phone rang. Off he went.

Then there were three.

A couple of minutes later I felt an odd vibration on my thigh and realized my own phone was going off!

At least I stayed!

Reflecting on this I wonder whether unavailability by switching off our devices is a valid spiritual practice?

Giving God some space to speak with us uninterrupted.

It's incredible how we can tend to place earthly communication higher up the pecking order than spiritual communication with God.

I know we don't do it on purpose.

But we can be known to do it nevertheless.

I know that our phones are a useful tool if we are in a boring meeting or something. A pseudo ringtone is a must, especially for us ministers who often have to attend all kinds of "lose the will to live" meetings! I have to hold my hands up and say I've used that one a few times!

But when it comes to spending quality time with God?

I said to someone the other day, "I'm expecting an important call could you make sure no one disturbs me."

Wouldn't it be great if we went to those lengths everyday of our lives to give God the same respect?

Maybe its time to start switching off our gadgets for periods in the day, making ourselves unavailable to take calls and messages. Undivided attention all round I think is needed when talking with God?

Because in truth? What is more important?

Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...