Thursday, February 16, 2012

Out of the ordinary?


My early morning Gary-space before I immerse myself in work, was in Costa Coffee this morning, and it was special.
I mostly devour a scripture or two, sometimes I read whatever I’m reading, quite often I just stare into thin air and think deeply about the day ahead, I always have a pray, and of course down a couple of extra hot two-shot skinny cappuccinos.

This morning I was transfixed by the text of the book I am reading at the moment.

I am reading a book called “Alone,” the intense and moving account by Richard E Byrd of his solo six-month polar adventure in 1933 to Bolling Advance Weather Station in Antarctica.

He was on a mainstream expedition with others, but took a decision to do something out of the ordinary. He decided to trek to the advance weather station alone for six months, not because he wanted to carry out any ground breaking scientific study of the aurorals or the weather, but primarily because he wanted to experience just how good true silence and solitude are.

Richard E Byrd was a celebrity of the day, so the papers followed his every move.

So he just left his group and embarked on his lone expedition leaving others to communicate it to the world.

When the news broke out internationally that he had done this, his family and friends sent radio messages to him (that he didn’t get until the expedition was over because a friend in the original expedition took the messages and didn’t want him to read them in case it discouraged him). The messages were sometimes encouraging but mostly highly discouraging, telling him how mad he was and what a disaster it would be.  Newspapers started to make up reasons why he undertook such a mad expedition, saying things like, “He has embarked on six months of serious drinking,” or, “Byrd has been exiled by his own men!” High ranking politicians warned him of ensuing disaster and financial ruin.

His six month expedition was seemingly a bit crazy, and he did nearly die a few times while at Bolling.

Yet he was profoundly changed by the experience. He found his perspectives on life were changed completely and his whole being was enriched by the experience.

Isn’t it funny when people do something out of the ordinary, the “voices of reason” speak up! The mystical stories start, the plainly exaggerated legends begin.

I think of the church and its difficulties in standing tall and present in the world today.

Could it be there are too many voices of reason? When someone is inspired to do something out of the ordinary, the voices crank up, the mystical stories are born, and the legends begin?

I was speaking at a big Salvation Army Corps one Sunday morning. I had been prayed with in a side room before the service, there was a buzz in the hall, pre-service music was happening. We had two minutes before the service started. As usual I got the urge to go to the loo (Too much info I know) so I dashed to the Gents. In the gents was another guy about 75 years of age. He turned and acknowledged me by saying “good morning,” I replied with a “hello.” He then asked me, “Are you visiting today?” I said yes. He continued, “You would be better coming back when our officers are doing the meeting, the guy doing it this morning is one of those weird Salvationists, funny things happen at his Corps.”

That was the nicest thing people have said about me for ages!

The legend was already in full swing!

We do like the out of the ordinary at our Church, especially when it comes to taking risks to reach a lost soul. But guys, I can reassure you I am almost definitely an ordinary guy!

The voice of reason spoke out I was weird! (No comments please!)

I think I find voices of reason are so often voices of safety.

How God needs the church to be out of the ordinary right now.

I’m not talking about how we look, or how we do worship, or any of that sad and stale argument. I’m talking about stepping off the reasonable track in order to rescue those who are dying without a saviour? To be brave enough to be totally unreasonable if we have to be.

Richard E Byrd did something out of the ordinary and it changed his life.

Jesus Christ constantly did many things that were out of the ordinary in order to heal, save and transform lives. The voices of reason made stuff up about him, criticized him and tried to get him back to the ordinariness that stifled the life out of people.

I don’t know about you, but being part of the Church wouldn’t be very exciting ordinarily?

But following Jesus with passion and desire will automatically take us out of the ordinary.

Will Those who think I’m a bit weird say amen?

Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...