Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Salvation Army-A signpost to a life?

So David comes up to me and he looks kind of pleased with himself.

His eyes have a hint of a twinkle shooting out of his corneas like a laser beam.

His smile is equally as sharp.

David is in his sixties and has endured a mostly torrid life. This includes periods of street homelessness, alcoholism and other social deprivations.

He hands me a brown Manila envelope.

A day or so ago he told me he wanted to write down his testimony and give it to me. His writing skills are severely limited and I knew that would take a monumental effort.

Never the less, he handed me the carefully written document.

The writing was barely legible, and the words did not always make sense, but I have deciphered it the best that I could.

I want to share it with you, Dave says it's OK.

When I became a Christian in February 2003, when my wife died, I found out that I couldn't cope in life anymore. I turned into a alcoholic. Then the Council threw me out of my bungalow. I couldn't pay the rent. I lived on the streets. I went to see my daughter but she said there was no room for me. I slept for two nights on my cousins couch. One sunday I was walking around Durham City Centre when a man started to talk to me. He was Salvation Army man. He took me to the major at the Salvation Army Hall. I told him my problems. The major gave me an address where I could get a flat. I lived there for four months then the Landlord told me he was selling the flats so I had to go. I was able though to go to my sister's house and she took me in. My sister got me a job as a cleaner at the electricity board. Then in a church where I went for coffee morning offered me a job as a cleaner. The people were very kind. I was grateful. I began to pray. I got baptized at the Cathedral by Bishop Martin. I went to an Alpha course and I am saved. I now go to prayer meetings on Mondays and Sanctuary 21 everyday. God saved me.

As I read this, Firstly it moved me deeply, secondly It confirmed in me what an important role Christins have in society today.

And the those of us who are part of the Salvation Army, can be devastatingly effective as we flood this world with practical and spiritual kindness.

This simple encounter and action by a Salvationist in the street was pivotal in pointing this man to Jesus and ultimately to a better life.

As the Corps I lead continues to be shaped by God, I think more and more that the Salvation Army is a signpost to a life.

A better life.

Especially as people encounter Jesus, and see Jesus in us.

Jesus says I am the way the truth and the life, no-one comes to the Father except through me. (John 14:6)

Even as I write that scripture down I am drenched in the weight of responsibility we have to point those who need a savior to him.

The only way to deal with his is this is to make sure our relationship with God is sound.

The world desperately needs to see Jesus in us. Our very lives are signposts to a life.

Here is a common but still a very big question for us to day.

Are we sign posting people to the way the Truth and the life? Are we Looking for encounters with people who do not know Jesus?

David's highly simple story is a testimony as he puts it. It's an example of the power that we hold to change lives. That power is the power of the Holy Spirit in us. It's also an example of how he was sign posted to the way, the truth and the life.

And for him that changed everything.


Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...