Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Storm


Looking out of my hotel room window, I am mesmerised by the view.

I am in a hotel right on the edge of the eastern coast of the UK; I am at a Salvation Army Officers retreat. It’s a compulsory event for me.

I’ll let you into a secret.

I really don’t like these types of gatherings. 

Don’t like them at all.'

But the hotel is absolutely amazing.

I’ve dipped out of a couple of teaching sessions (Amazingly the guest speaker, who is a really good guy, gave us permission to be absent if we felt like just being peaceful on your own).

I’ve taken him up on the offer.

So im looking out to sea.

From my hotel room window.

I’m captivated by the waves rolling in; the sky is an ominous green- black colour and there is a storm heading towards the coast preceded by mist that’s thick and swirling. Fine rain is starting to lace the air, wetting the ground. Heavy rain is imminent.

It is natural awesomeness at work.

Lately I have been really frantic with work. I’ve travelled for miles by Land and air, speaking at events, lecturing, praying, ministering, pastoring. I’ve hardly had a moment to think. Life has been consumed with busyness and the stresses and strains that it inevitably brings.

It’s felt at times like I’m in the middle of a storm.

Like I am being tossed about and blown every which way by the winds of work, responsibility and mission.

Yet right now?

I’m sitting in almost total silence, except for the distant boom of the sea and the gentle patter of rain.

I have nothing to do right now.

But sit and stare at the gathering storm.

It’s nice to stop.

It feels like I have found a shelter out of the life-storm that has seemed to be a bit on the relentless side lately.

And shelter from life storm is never easy to find.

But it is necessary.

There are times when we have to stop.

Really stop.

It’s funny, this officers retreat I am on, isn’t really a retreat at all. These so called retreats are really conferences. It’s as if people have to fill space in with teaching and other stuff otherwise it’s not worth gathering. So really we fill the space with even more busyness. Most people in ministry i guess are really desperate for a break.

People need to stop.

Get shelter from the storm.

As I sit here this afternoon, since I’ve stopped doing stuff, I have touched the very presence of God. I’ve felt his nearness, been soothed by his voice. I’ve been able to put some perspective on things that are going on in my life.

Maybe it’s time you stopped for a while too.  Got out of the life storm for a while. Maybe this is word for you today.

The Spirit of God says, drop the busyness. Get out of the storm. It’s time to recharge the batteries, to just stop. Come to me and rest. I am your shelter, you safe place, your home. I am your replenishment and your storehouse. I am your restoration, your peace, your hope giver. I am your fixer, your healer, your life giver. I am your garrison, your fortress, your castle. I am your comfort, you embrace, your protector.

I am your God.

Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...