Thursday, June 28, 2012

Ruthless caring

At my graduation yesterday, there were some awe inspiring moments.

I completed my Masters degree in mission at Cliff College Derbyshire.

It is a Christian College and the graduation was undoubtedly to celebrate the successes of people who have worked incredibly hard to get academic rewards.

But more than that the graduation yesterday was totally about worshipping Jesus.

In the morning worship before the graduation ceremony, there was an invitation given to any student to come and testify about what God had done for them while at College.

There was some awesome words I tell you.

One of the students was Tom.

Tom is a young guy for whom gaining a degree was a daunting prospect. In a wheelchair, and expected to die at a young age, and indeed he was honest enough to say he wasn't sure how long he would live into the future, testified to the fact that its not about the future but what's you do now that counts. He testified to the power of God to carry you through and give you strength to achieve anything. He said he didn't know why but he just knew God wanted him to do this degree. He also thanked a couple of people who had stuck with him, he had to have carers with him right throughout the course to help him, and he acknowledged the care they had given him.

As he received his award on the stage at the graduation, I was so inspired by the very sight of him that it gave me a real lift just when I needed it.

My mind wandered to his carers, even though I didn't know who they were.

How they had given up time and effort and love, doing jobs that others may not want to do, so that someone in need could achieve something amazing.

This truly was awe inspiring. I was so touched I almost forgot to go up and collect my own award.

Then today at work, I had a coffee with a soldier who has been on a couple of tours to Afghanistan. He is just getting into a relationship with Jesus. Just starting out having accepted him into his life.

He mentioned something that so hit a chord with what God had shown me yesterday.

He said that in his unit they were effective in war because they 'ruthlessly cared for each other.' and he said that what he felt was the main thing that drew him to Jesus because he ruthlessly cared for him. And he said ultimately if the church is to be effective in war, then we have to ruthlessly care for each other.

Ruthless care.

Toms carers obviously ruthlessly cared for him and by ruthlessly cared I guess it meant laying large parts of their own lives down so that someone else could flourish.

Imagine a church that ruthlessly cared for each other? I guess that would make it easier to ruthlessly care for those who don't know Jesus?

And the soldier I had a coffee with is right, if we are to be effective in the spiritual battle then ruthless caring is essential to the outcome.

After all Jesus showed what ruthless caring was all about when he carried and hung and died on a cross for you and for me.

I don't know about you but I so want to see others flourish. I want to see the people who seemingly have no chance get a chance? I want to see lives transformed through ruthless caring.

So that means laying things down.

Do we show ruthless care to each other? What does that mean to us? What should we lay down so that others might flourish?

Jesus laid down his life so we can live.

That fact alone should in fact strengthen us to ruthlessly care for anyone who crosses our path in life.

So I pray today that God will help us to be ruthless carers of all people.


Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...