Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Cost (A bad week in ministry???)


Here is a summary of the main bad points of my working week last week.

 

1.    Threatened to be killed by a knife wielding homeless guy.

2.    Had my brand new phone stolen.

3.    Had my wallet with cards in stolen.

4.    Filled three different police statements in.

5.    Been confronted by a doctrine freak who wanted to challenge the Salvation Army doctrines.

 
It was a hectic week and one that I need to forget, but won't in a hurry.

 So right now after a two-hour meeting with a police officer, talking through profoundly important justice issues that we are involved in, I am just thinking last week through.

 
In the silence of my office.

 
In the presence of the King of Kings.

 
The first thing that drops into my head is how aware I am of how much ministry costs.

 
Every Thursday afternoon St Johns college do a mission lecture for second year ministry students in our building.

 
It was the day the knife incident was happening.

 
The guy who does the lectures said, it was a fantastic lesson for these guys who maybe had visions of ministry being all pomp and ceremony and nice people.

 
They spent most of the lesson praying for us.

 
Yeah, Ministry costs.

 
It's definitely not all nice cosy meetings, with everyone behaving correctly, with people who are respectfully dressed in nice clothes.

 
Definitely not!

 
And this week nearly cost me my ministry.

 
Because I felt like I had been pummeled into the ground with a mallet.

 
The thought crossed my mind, wouldn't it be nice not to be a Salvation Army Officer?

 
At the end of the week though, on Sunday morning to be exact, we had our weekly gathering.

 
Our Sunday morning gathering at S21 is a sight to behold.

 
Our congregation has a lot of people who can't even get in to some churches because of the way they look or the way they act, mixed in with students, and people who are called to our church community to help, along with people who just wander in off the street mid service.

 
As Susie, one of students, an incredibly gifted worship leader, led worship last week I just stood back and watched people. Homeless guys with hands in the air, people, who in some cases, have been unloved in almost every other situation other than ours, were kneeling, some with arms out, some with hands pointing to the skies. Drug addicts kneeling with arms around each other. Alcoholics sitting at the back slouched on the couches worse the wear for drink.

 
It was awe inspiring.

 
It takes my breath away.

 
We ain't a nice cosy Christian love-pod that's for sure.

 
Then when I get up to preach?

 
There is no chance of delusions of grandeur there. 

 
As soon as I start speaking, I get interrupted with people wanting to interject..

 
They are Holy interjections!

 
It's so life giving to have people feel they want to speak too.

 
But this last Sunday, the last day of a really difficult week.

 
God steps in.

 
Forcefully.

 
Not with a still small voice on this occasion.

 
No, he came into the messy week with a bang, not that he hadn't been there in all of that mess of course because he definitely was, but on Sunday morning he gave me a glimpse of the reason why I have to minister into the constant mess of life.

 
He showed me, in the eyes and actions of people whose lives are broken and chaotic, just how powerful he is. Young drug addicts being prayed with. A young couple feeling called to be soldiers in the Salvation Army without any prompting or even information from us. A lady coming in from the shops and just crying as she witnessed the moving scene she was looking at. Police officers sitting on the stairs in tears, as the Spirit of God moved like a hurricane.

 
Ministry may cost something.

 
But if we stick with it?

 
There is treasure to be seen, power to be felt, transformations to be witnessed.

 
So if anyone out there is struggling with your ministry, whether that be full time or doing your thing, God says stick with it baby.

 
Hang in.

 
God needs an Army standing strong.

 
There are big battles ahead.

 
Lets run towards them not away from them.

 
When we get knocked down? Get up again.

 
When its hard?

 
Cling to the rock.

 
It'll be worth it.

Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...