Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas Blog Post

In the bleak mid winter.

A guy comes to the door of our church. 

He is filthy.

His clothes look rancid. 

He is freezing cold.

His eyes are filmy, dull and drooping from tiredness. 

He's shaking from lack of alcohol.

He asks for food. 

Fortunately a group of people had just had a roast dinner, so I was able to put a dinner together for him. 

He tells me he has been sleeping in a warehouse. But he had to get out because he hates rats and there had been some serious rat activity at night. 

I mean.

I just can't imagine?

I get him some clothes and arrange an appointment with a homeless centre for him to get a bed for the night and hopefully get help from there.  

It's a bleak winter for this guy alright. 

I feel sad for him.

And for all those who have nowhere to lay their head. 

And.

It always amazes me how the homeless head for the Salvation Army. 

Are we doing enough?

Is the Salvation Army as a whole really doing enough?

It's not for me to comment.

All I can do is Make sure I'm ready. 

Ready to receive the lost.

Ready to do anything I can to help them.

Ready to stop at nothing to relieve the pressure on them. 

Ready to lay down the sad side of traditionalism to reach into their very being. 

Ready to intervene in their dark sorry lives. 
In the bleak mid winter. 

Especially around Christmas time. 

Somehow the world reflects. 

The birth of Jesus does that to you.

Makes us reflect. 

As we reflect on a king born in a stable. Not the poshest of settings. On a baby who went on to suffer serious rejection from society, a baby who went on to have nowhere to lay his head, on a baby who ultimately died with all our rubbish piled on his life, I ask you to reflect on those who are homeless, destitute and marginalized. 

Pray for them.

Minister to them.

Show them the deep deep love of the king of this world. 

Get ready for them. 

Open the doors of our churches, homes etc, but way more than that open up our hearts.

Lay aside our views on it, like who is to blame. Who should be dealing with it. 

Bless them with the riches we hold. 

Feed them, give them drink, clothe them make sure they are OK.

Maybe their winter won't be quite so bleak. 

Maybe their future won't be bleak at all having encountered the love of a savior through us. 

That's it. 

That's my Christmas blog. 

Not that exciting I know. But vital all the same. 

Have a fabulous time this Christmas. 

And as I do each year, Can I thank the thousands world wide who read my blog posts. What started as a personal blog for a few friends and family has just expanded so far and wide I can scarcely believe it. Thank you for all the comments, although I don't allow comments direct through my blog! I receive them through twitter, Google plus, LinkedIn and a few from Facebook. And I thank you so much for the encouragement. You are all such a blessing. I thank The Lord Jesus Christ for each of you. Thank you. Gaz

















Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...