Thursday, April 10, 2014

Citadelica

I stood looking at the front of the Salvation Army Hall.

It was dusk.

The frontage, a bit retro, a bit intimidating,  loomed large, casting an evening shadow about half way across the road.

The Citadel.

Citadel?

A word that sounds so utterly regal.

A word that speaks of safety inside.

A protective retreat for the forces.

A protective shield for our communities.

Of course the word citadel, comes from the Latin word civis, meaning citizen. Many say the citadel is the strongest part of the town and the last line of defence in a city system. 

Citadel.

So many Salvation Army Corps call themselves a citadel. 

Loads of them have it in their names.

And.

As I stood in the dim light of dusk looking up at a real time Citadel.

I wonder.

Inside the spaces of my wondering I feel a question surface.

Are we?

A citadel?

Am I a citadel?

A last line of defence for our communities?

The strongest part of town?

Cos.

The Citadel ain't really the building.

Is it.

In fact?

It's us.

We are it.

The citadel.

And in the dusk.

I ask myself am I really the strongest part of town?

Would I defend my community to the last?

Yeah.

I wonder.

We are not talking about doing Salvation Army for Salvation Army's sake.

No.

We are talking about defending our community  in Spiritual terms.

Battling to establish peace and justice.

By pushing back the dark forces of this world with a depth of love that can only come from the heart of Jesus. Stopping at nothing to turn our attention on the needs and the cries of the broken. Stocking up our armoury with the weapons of love acceptance and compassion, sharpening our approach with the communion of  Gods incessant love. Advancing the war with open arms and an open door.

Yeah.

Sounds like a citadel to me.

The strongest part of town.

The last line of defence.

So a call from God to the Salvation Army asks this.

Will you be a citadel?

Will you?

Can you?

Are you?

Dusk turns into night.

I walk on.

I know I've heard  from God.


He is astonishing. 

Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...