Saturday, August 23, 2014

Close encounter

Encounter.

Loads of people long for an encounter with God.

It's a word I use a lot.

And.

I'm fortunate to have experienced some amazing encounters with God.

And.

Lately I've seen some fantastic encounters happening.

Like.

Before my very eyes I saw two very lonely guys who have come into our House of prayer almost everyday since we opened. Both of them live alone and don't have very much. Both have some mental illness. Both have some fairly difficult social issues. Neither of them have anyone they could call friends. They have both shared that with me.

But.

This morning.

After not even looking at each other before, a conversation between them struck up.

And.

Before long they were sharing stories, eating together, shaking hands.

As I watched I could see the encounter.

I could feel what Jesus was doing.

He was using us to knit together a community.

Very much an encounter.

Then.

Last week.

A great young girl who I met told me a fantastic story.

She was sharing with me that she wasn't sure if she believes in God.

But.

She wanted to share with me that she had an encounter that she can't make head nor tail of.

She said she was sitting on a park bench contemplating the question of whether God is rel or not.  Her friend phoned her. They started arguing about something. The girl got so mad she threw her mobile phone about twenty yards onto the grass.

At that point she shouted in frustration, "show yourself. Give me a sign or something. Come on Show yourself God if your real!"

She walked over to get her phone.

Right next to the phone was an empty Coke bottle.

In the UK right now they are printing names on the coke bottle or things like dad or mum.

On this label was the name Jesus Christ.

She was overwhelmed!

She was sharing this with me, and I had the privilege of praying directly with this girl that she would get into relationship with Jesus.

Another type of encounter.

These are just two little stories that illustrate the divine nature of God at work as the father, son and Holy Spirit work in perfect sync.

Encounter.

The fact is God is at work in this world.

In everyday things.

In relationships.

In trials.

In trouble.

In the good times.

A mate of mine said an interesting thing the other day.

He said that he thought "The church has lost the ability to see the encounter."

I know what he means.

It's definately something worth rediscovering.

Watching with expectation.

Watching with anticipation.

God at work.

His miracles aren't just confined to things like healing.

His miracles are infinite.

his offer of encounter with him through Jesus is never-ending, always available.

He does immeasurably more than we will ever know.

And.

His supernatural power is evident if we look.

I'm one of those who doesn't care much for the bad side of tradition in church.

Why?

Because that just says no to the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit. It almost mocks encounter.

Yeah.

So my advice is don't get caught up in the mechanics of the church.

look for the encounter instead.

God is at work.

So maybe there's someone out there today who feels devoid of an encounter.

your christian walk is a bit, well, lifeless?

Open your eyes.

See the bigger picture.

Encounter a God who loves you. Who knows everything about you. Who is desperate to be in relationship with you.

Go on.

Do it.

It's for the best.







Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...