Saturday, March 15, 2014

Decisions lead to discovery

Life feels good.

The sun is beaming from a cloudless deep blue sky, it's ultra strong beams zooming like lasers through the bay window of our house on Boston Road in London. 

It's 9am.

Dawn and I decide to walk to Ealing Broadway, a round trip of about 5 miles from our house. 

Since we arrived in London we have stuck to the route that we know when we do this walk.

But.

Today?

We decided it was time to  discover a new route.

So we set off with the sun in our faces, me with some work to do in my plain back functional backpack, paper work that has to be done by Monday unfortunately,  and Dawn with whatever she carries in her ultra flowery backpack.

It was a great walk. 

The sun changes things. 

We took a few roads we don't normally go down and it's amazing what you discover. 

We walked past a park we didn't know was there, utterly gorgeous in its green finery. We walked past a group of Christians praying on the street and were able to exchange blessings with them. We discovered a road in Ealing that runs up to the old Ealing film studios where the original Ealing Comedies were shot. We discovered a manor house resplendent in its majestic architecture that probably once stood alone in vast grounds but today is swallowed up by the concrete jungle that has developed around it. All through the walk the birds were singing there scintillating songs. Kids were playing in the parks and on the street, people were washing their cars and sweeping there front paths, the first sounds of lawn mowers that I've heard were emanating from gardens that were long overdue a cut. 

All seems good. 

I get to Starbucks.

My extra office!

And get out my iPad ready to do some work.

But.

I feel like writing a blogpost instead. 

So I sack off the work. 

And think hard about my walk of new discovery. 

And lately.

I've really felt a desire in my life for change. 

For new discovery. 

For different things.

Like many  people, I guess I get sick of the same old route. 

In my everyday life and in my faith walk. 

When you are wrapped up in a denomination like the Salvation Army whose system does not really give a lot of room for discovery, which likes to stick to the same route in general, you can easily get swept along on the same old route if your not careful.   

But. 

That doesn't have to be the case. 

When we get hooked into the work/life  routine, whose systems easily directs you to the same old route in life, you can get swept up in that too.

But.

That doesn't have to be the case. 

If Dawn and I had carried on walking to Ealing Broadway via the same old route we wouldn't have discovered the new park, the Ealing film studios, the beautiful tree lined wide streets of  West London  flanked by beautiful period housing, we wouldn't have met those people who were praying on the street. It would have been same old same old. 

I crave for discovery.

I have the heart of an adventurer.

I always have had.

I find it really hard to stick to guidelines and rules. 

I find it really impossible to be boxed I to a certain way of life. 

I am one who always craves adventure and change. 

Routine doesn't sit well with me.

And.

This morning I feel back to my sharpest after a few years of battle with depressive feelings, injustice of circumstance and a lot of soul searching about my future. 

And the Spirit of Adventure has returned to my heart. 

So thinking about this today it maybe good for you guys to reflect on this.

Is it the same old routine for you?

Are you craving for something different?

Are you asking the question, "Is there more to life than this?"

Are you longing for something that seems almost unreachable?

Is it time for a change?

Firstly my advice for what it is worth is stick with Jesus, he is an adventure. He will pull you on to the narrow way, a way full of surprise and discovery. There is no routine and drudgery on the narrow way. 

Secondly, think hard about the route you are taking in life. 

Is it time to simply change that route?

Is it time to make that decision you so battle with?

Are you feeling like life is a a bit dull?

Leaving decisions unmade leads you down a slippery slope to well, let's just say not a good place. 

A dull place. 

Really?

When you look at it?

It's up to us. 

We can change it. 

You can change it. 

But you have to make a decision and stick to it. 

Decision is one of the best life tools God has equipped us with.

It's powerful. 

So whoever this is for today?

Make that decision.

Decide on a new route

It will change everything.

There is much to discover. 

Blessings. 







Forensic Prayer

  I have a fascination with Forensics.   If I were not called to minister, I would have headed into this profession for sure.   Henc...